Meet Deanna Russell
Hi there! In case we haven’t met, I’m Deanna Russell. I’m trained as a clinical aromatherapist, registered aromatherapist, and essential oil therapist and am located in Calgary, AB Canada. I also am the owner and founder of Nature Notes Aromatherapy.
My loves include photography, gardening, tea blending, design and typography. Experimenting and creating stuff has been my thing since early childhood, and now as an adult I enjoy teaching others my passion for aromatherapy and essential oils.
- A professional member of BCAOA (British Columbia Alliance Of Aromatherapy) in Canada.
- An instructor and educator of aromatherapy on several learning platforms
- A published author of 2 books: Quick Start to using Essential Oils and Natural Skin Care using essential oils and botanicals
- A private consultant in Calgary, AB Canada
Nature Notes beginnings
Nature Notes became a reality when I found that I was either allergic or sensitive to most of the skin care products available commercially. I was also growing concerned about the chemical and toxin load in my system. I decided to put my inner nerd to good use and did some serious research on natural ingredients. Each of the ingredients used to make some of my own skin care items were chosen specifically for the benefits of what the ingredients could potentially have for me. Slowly over time, I had some keeper formulas that were working for me- and without the dreaded reactions.
Others were curious about what I was doing and asked if I had something that might work for them. I decided it was time to get some credentials to support my experience and grow my knowledge base. Over the next few years I studied and worked for my clinical aromatherapist level/certification, logging well over 600 hours of course time. Today I am a professional member of the British Columbia Alliance of Aromatherapy (BCAOA). Many customers and clients have enjoyed the benefits of products handcrafted by Nature Notes.
Whether you are new to the fascinating world of essential oils, or are a professional, there is a class or course for you to explore. They range from tutorial classes (project based) to full on aromatherapy courses.
Sometimes, life gets crazy busy. If you are looking for easily digestible information, quick reference material or other printables, be sure to check out these resources.
If you are unsure of what would help you the most or if you have questions about a custom blend, you can make an appointment for a consultation.
The name behind Nature Notes Aromatherapy
Back when I was starting my business, (over 8 years ago now) I wanted the name to be meaningful. For those of you who know me personally, you know that my husband, my daughter and myself are all musicians. Since they are also involved in helping me, I wanted the name to include us all.
In music, it takes 3 notes to form a chord (triad). In aromatherapy, blends are created in a similar way- the most balanced blends include a base note, a middle note, and a top note. (The same principle is also applied to perfumery making.)
And Nature Notes is committed to making products that are natural- so fragrance oils are never used! Did you know that most of the products are also vegan and gluten free?
I hope you enjoy using your Nature Notes bath & beauty products! Please take note of the following:
- The products made by Nature Notes are for external use only. Do not ingest them.
- The products made by Nature Notes are intended for comforting measures only and not as a treatment for medical issues.
- Nature Notes uses pure essential oils. I do not use any synthetic or “nature identical” fragrances.
- Even though the ingredients in the products are natural, it is still possible to have a sensitivity or an allergy to them. If for some reason you have a reaction, discontinue using it. Before using a new product, do a skin patch test first.
- If you have epilepsy, high or low blood pressure, are pregnant or nursing, please consult the Essential Oils Safety Guidelines article before using any products. Please note that the information presented in the article has been researched, but may not be relied upon for its completeness.
- You should consult your physician before use.
Use Nature Notes products at your own risk. Neither I (Deanna Russell) nor Nature Notes may be held legally responsible for any injury or illness sustained while using any of these products. Use good judgement and common sense.
Nature Notes products are made by hand in small batches. Since they use natural and fresh ingredients, they will have a shorter shelf life than chemically preserved products. However, you will notice that where appropriate, natural preservatives are included such as vitamin E oil and wheatgerm oil, as well as some naturally derived preservatives. The lotion and cream bases that I use are carefully chosen for their softer and safer preservative qualities.
Get articles on the blog
You can get information on many aromatherapy topics from my blog Nature Notes Aromatherapy
Any information that you provide to us will not be given or sold to anyone else for any reason. We will require your name and shipping information to allow us to mail your products to you.